lunedì, ottobre 30, 2006

Chicago

If you visit a male prison, you will find all sorts of criminals: thieves, murderers, rapists, arsenists... Men don't discriminate, they offend their women, their mothers, their children, their lovers, and even their state.

If you visit a female prison, there will be murderers too, we are not less violent than men, often we are even more. Specially because most of these offences are in retaliation of a husband, a lover, or a male who tried to force his love on her.

Have you ever wondered why? There is a reason for this. We do everything with passion. Especially when our pacience is tested to the limit. And more often than not it is.

Chicago is one of my favorite movies ever. It is a clever, witty, satirical and ligth social portrait, not only Chicago in the 20's but womanhood in general. Women in the musical are all but the fairer sex. They are manipulative, determined, ambicious, at times insensitive and assertive. And yet they are also gentle and mostly disapointed at the fact that they have no one to fend them but themselves.

The Cell Block Tango (do watch the video, it is more than worth the wile) is the most genial movie scene I have ever seen. And to see how we are damned if we do and damned if we don't, the only innocent women in the lot is the one to be condemned to death.

[LIZ]Pop
[ANNIE]Six
[JUNE]Squish
[HUNYAK]Uh uh
[VELMA]Cicero
[MONA]Lipschitz!

He had it coming
He had it coming
He only had himself to blame
If you'd have been there
If you'd have seen it
I betcha you would have done the same!

Liz: You know how some people have those habits that get you down? Like Bernie. Bernie liked to chew gum. No, not chew. POP. So I come home from work one night and I'm real irritated, and I'm looking for a little sympathy. And there's Bernie, lying on the couch, drinking a beer and chewin'. No, not chewin'. POPPIN'. So I said "If you pop that gum one more time..." And he did. So I took the shotgun off the wall and fired two warning shots... into his head.

Annie: I met Ezekiel Young from Salt Lake city about two years ago and he told me he was single and we hit it off right away. So, we started living together. He'd go to work, he'd come home, I'd fix him a drink, we'd have dinner. And then I found out. "Single" he told me. Single, my ass. Not only was he married... oh, no, he had six wives. One of those Mormons, you know. So that night, when he came home, I fixed him his drink as usual. You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic.

He had it coming
He had it coming
He took a flower
In its prime
And then he used it
And he abused it
It was a murder
But not a crime!

June: I'm standin' in the kitchen, carving up a chicken for dinner, minding my own business, when in storms my husband, Wilbur, in a jealous rage. "You've been screwing the milkman," he said. He was crazy, and he kept on screaming, "You've been screwing the milkman." And then he ran into my knife... he ran into my knife ten times.

Hunyak: Mit keresek én itt? Azt mondják, a híres lakóm lefogta a férjem, én meg lecsaptam a fejét. De nem igaz. Én ártatlan vagyok. Nem tudom, miért mondja Uncle Sam, hogy én tettem. Próbáltam a rendörségen megmagyarázni, de nem értették meg.
(Translated from Hungarian, it means: What am I doing here? They say my famous tenant held down my husband and I chopped his head off. But it's not true. I am innocent. I don't know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain at the police station but they didn't understand.)

June: Yeah, but di you do it?

Hunyak: UH UH, not guilty!

Velma Kelly: My sister Veronica and I had this double act, and my husband Charlie traveled around with us. Now for the last number in our act we did these 20 acrobatic tricks in a row: one, two, three, four, five, splits, spread-eagles, back-flips, flip-flops, one right after the other. So this one night before the show we're at the hotel Cicero, the three of us boozin, having a few laughs, and we run out of ice, so I run out to get some. I come back, open the door, and there's Veronica and Charlie doing number 17, the spread-eagle. Well, I was in such a state of shock that I completely blacked out; I can't remember a thing. It wasn't until later, when I was washing the blood off my hands, I even knew they were dead.

They had it coming
They had it coming
They had it coming
They had it coming
They had it coming all along
They had it coming all along
I didn't do it
She didn't do it
But if I done it
But if she done it
How could you tell me that I was wrong?

Mona: I loved Al Lipshitz more than I could say. He was a real artistic type, a painter. He was always trying to find himself. He'd go out every night looking for himself. And on the way, he found Ruth. Gladys. Rosemary. And Irving. I guess you could say we broke up because of artistic differences. He saw himself as alive. And I saw him dead.

They had it comin
All along
Cause if they used us
And they abused us
How could you tell us that we were wrong?